From:
"Mary L. Kirby" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 May 2004 17:30:44 -0500
I may be wrong because I am not familiar with the details of HAZ-Mat
activities, but small amounts of photography chemicals  (amatuer darkroom
amounts, individual photographer size stock) can often be safely poured
down the drain, depending upon the chemical. If they are sealed in the
orginal foil lined packages or the like, they can remain stable for a
long time. Some darkroom chemicals are no more dangerous than staples in
your kitchen (i.e. stop bath=acetic acid=vinegar). Hypo is different in
that it cannot be taken internally.

Is there a commercial photographer in town? Does (s)he still do darkroom
work? Can you ask them? Know any active amatuer photographers? Nearby
college which teaches photography?

Much of what you have may still be commercially available to those who
are interested and if you do not want to store the materials, maybe they
can put them to good use. The two developers you named I personally am
not familiar with because I never got into platinum work and other art
photography methods. However, a college art dept or photography teacher
might be of help.

Mary Kirby
Historic Upshur Museum