From:
martin weiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Nov 2001 23:03:13 -0500
        From my perspective the issue is very relevant and comes to
the issue of how does a science museum deal with the overlap of two
very different belief systems-science and religion. Science, as
practiced today, is a way of looking at the world around us by
testing questions (hypotheses) and formulating more questions based
on the answers we receive. In this way we derive a clearer and
clearer understanding of  the world around us.  Religious
understanding of the world is based upon faith and is not testable as
science is (nor is testing of  belief based on faith encouraged).

        The problem for science museums is how do you present the
science, as it is understood today and as scientists are pursuing
questions like therapeutic cloning to derive stem cells (no reputable
scientists, that I am aware of is pursuing reproductive cloning). It
is in the new;it may have enormous potential for medical therapies
and an informed public is in a far better position to understand
decisions that will be made that will potentially effect their lives.
In addition, there are visitors to science museums who are very
interested in learning about issues like therapeutic cloning and
evolution two issues that clash on the science and faith. I cannot
speak for other museums but we plan to approach these on the
scientific issues. I'd like to do an exhibition on the difference
between scientific beliefs and faith based beliefs but I am not sure
how to do it.

        This is an important issue and should be discussed but on the
issues of how to develop programs and exhibitions on controversial
issues. Certainly many of you have faced this doing programs and
exhibitions about AIDS and its effects on the artistic community.

        It is late after a long day and I hope I've been cogent.

Cheers,

Martin
--
Martin Weiss, Ph.D.