From:
蓑原 謝恵 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Mar 1999 10:22:42 +0900
I am a researcher in Japan who specialize in museums.  I am very much interest
ed in knowing the process of museum making abroad.  My question is how one cou
ld organize it when someone comes and express his/her will to build a museum.
Is there any one person who takes part in a whole process of museum making, th
at is,  producing from the  concept making, pre-schematic programming, schemat
ic design, design development, construction document, and maybe museum managem
ent  too?
Moreover, finding a right director, discussing about contents, financial matte
r and disign of the museum while considering the museum environment (heat and
humidity) could be his/her job too.
I heard that there is a profession called MUSEUM CONSULTANTS, but are they the
  ones to controll the entire process, or what is their role in the process?
Frankly speaking, the problem of museum making in Japan partly comes from the
  lack of museum concept and philosophy of a museum.  The building itself come
s   first, and then everything else comes after.  For example, the museum dire
ctor  and the contents of the museus are often arranged when the building beco
mes     under construction.  The existence of museum users, that is, citizens
tends to  be forgotten
Any guidance on how to make/organize/ produce a museum and what to look for, e
tc. would be very helpful.  I greatly appreciated if someone suggests a succes
sful case.
Thank you very much.

Sae Minohara
SC Research Center