From:
George Bailey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Feb 1996 09:48:38 EST
>From:    MusmDesign <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: RUST-- The 4 letter word

>Does anyone know of a simple "rub-on-rub-off off the shelf" get rid of the
>rust and accompanying stains juice?  I have tried Naval and navel Jelly
>but they don't seem to work.  Even a brass wire brush doesn't seem to
>help.  Perhaps a wirewheel will work on this restoration of George
>Washington's duelling pistols will work.  There is no bluing showing so I
>am not worried.

Using a brass wire brush on ferrous metal to remove corrosion is not
recommended - if anything it will aggravate the problem because by
scratching soft brass onto hard iron, small bits of brass will inevitably
be left embedded in the iron surface, and you are effectively setting up
corrosion cells, with iron as the sacrificial anode. Wire brushes or wheels
shouldn't be used at all. Sure, they will remove the corrosion, but they'll
also remove surface finishes & sound metal. That's probably why there is no
bluing left. There are less aggressive treatment methods around that are
more effective. CONSULT A METALS CONSERVATOR! Personally, if I were a Yank,
I would be somewhat concerned to find out that the possessions of one of my
nation's better known forefathers, were being treated in such a cavalier
and unprofessional manner.

George Bailey
Objects Conservator
Australian War Memorial