From:
Len Hambleton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Mar 1998 17:09:47 -0500
This post in in reply to the museum staff in Alaska who were looking for
actual examples of  powder post pests and other related anobids in a
slide or kit form.
Our state government has a great entomology department at North Carolina
State University and the staff very helpful even when I ask dumb
questions such as when an intern thought he'd had been bitten by a wevil
and swore the resultant rash was making him ill. I actually got an
answer to my question because I didn't know. And the answer was no "not
possible",just so I do not keep you all guessing.

From our Structural Pest division of the Dept. of Agriculture I learned
about the following manual ; it"s pictorial plates show larvae stages to
the adult pest ,excellent biological cross section diagrams and detailed
information in such subheadings as   :
recognition
similar groups
damage
biology habits
control

Pest specie are:
Ants
Bees,hornets & wasps
Bloodfeeders
Cockroaches
Fabric and paper pests
Flies
Occaisonal Invaders
Spiders
Stored produce pests
Termites
Vertbrate pests
Wood -attacking fungai
Wood-infesting insects
Pesticide Reference charts,glossary and index naturally

It costs appx$75.00 U.S. ( including supplements) and is available from:

National Pest Control Association
8100 Oak Street
Dunloring Va 22027
U.S.A                             Phone # 703-573-8330            Fax
703-573-4116

So curl up by the fire and get aquainted!
Regards

Len Hambleton - Chief Conservator
North Carolina Museum of History
5 East Edenton Street
Raleigh NC. 27601-1011
919-715-0200 x244
"Information in the spirit of sharing,catch the wave!"

Opinions expressed in this message may not represent the policy of my
agency