From:
"Mark C. Vang" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Jul 1995 06:53:03 -0400
I submitted my initial comments directly to Jim regarding his page, but
after reading the continuing stream of mail on this I felt I had to kick in
with a reply to the group.

I ditched Mosaic quite a while ago because it had difficulty loading images
and I found it to be unreliable... I hate having to do things twice so I
downloaded a FREE copy of Netscape and have been using it ever since.  I
recently downloaded Netscape 1.1 to view Jims page and thought it was great!
 It seems to me that this version even runs faster than the old version of
Netscape.  I am running the Windows version of this software and also had to
download a new driver all of which took about 45 minutes... download times
for the 2 programs and installation times.  Everything I had to get is
available free via FTP and I'm glad that I got the new stuff 'cause it's better.

As for Microsoft...

Robert MacKimmie states that...
"They are holding back 85% of the world from fulfilling their potential as
productive human beings."

That's a fascinating figure... why don't you submit your research to the
AIR?  I didn't even thing that 85% of the worlds population even owned
computers... or is that part of Microsofts diabolical plan?  My own
productivity has increased dramatically using Microsoft products, mainly
Windows.

And who cares if the FTC is investigating Microsoft?  Do you really put so
much stock in the federal government?  I have a hard time actually figuring
out when they operate WITH the public's best interests in mind.  Did it
occur to you that Microsoft is so big beacuse informed computer users like
myself used their products and continue to purchase them beacuse of their
performance?

In conlusion, Robert, from your post it seems that you don't own an "Intel
compatible" machine and you don't/can't run Windows software so where do you
get off slamming Microsoft?  They provide extensive technicial support for
their products and it seems that they are continually busting their humps to
keep the standards high.  This country is based on open competition and if
some companies fold it's their own fault not Microsoft.

As for standards committees... they are good for setting the lowest common
denominator but it's always going to be up to a "commercial" enterprise to
push the standards and really open up the capabilities of any system...
which ultimatly provides the best product for the consumer.

Viva Microsoft!  Viva Netscape!

 - Mark

  Freya Ventures | Owner, Mark C. Vang | (804) 425-5751 | Fax: (804) 425-6811
 Museum exhibit software, on-site service, Web page setup, THUNDERFAX service.
e-mail: [log in to unmask] |Freya Ventures Home Page: http://www.infi.net/~marcus