From:
Roger Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Jun 2000 16:55:46 +1200
Welcome to this week's edition of GLOBAL MUSEUM, your FREE international
Museum Ezine

Go to  http://www.globalmuseum.org  for the full stories and more!
This is a SPECIAL edition of Global Museum for two reasons.

Firstly the change of seasons ( winter in our case! ) and secondly as
publisher I have 'taken the plunge' and decided on to dedicate myself
full-time to the Ezine and Global Museum International consultancy work. In
the case of the latter occurrence, I shall either lose a lot of weight very
quickly or be able to count on the support of advertising and project work
to keep things bubbling along!.  At the very least I shall now have the time
to enjoy the sea view from my study and develop the ezine further-based on
your suggestions and feedback.  Email me at  [log in to unmask]
There is a new FORUM article this week and our top international headlines
include:

**  WWI film to tell how Irish soldier spent four years in cupboard
The extraordinary story of an Irishman who spent most of World War I hiding
from German soldiers in a French farmhouse is to begin filming in the autumn

**  Asteroid meant sudden death for Dinos
Researchers studying fossils found in Montana and North Dakota say an
asteroid hit 65 million years ago and almost immediately wiped out the giant
reptiles that once ruled the earth.

ADVERTISEMENT:  SAVE 30%     Walking with Dinosaurs  DVD.  When the first
episode of the six-part BBC series Walking with Dinosaurs originally aired,
an estimated one out of every four Britons tuned in

THIS WEEK'S PICK- A DVD WITH 'BITE'!            on sale in the Global Museum
NEWS SECTION

**  Millennium domes people WANT to visit
The rain falls steadily but the queue shuffles along in sunny mood. With the
"Eighth Wonder of the World" lurking just around the corner, who would
complain about a 20-minute wait

**  Last stand in battle for the body of Jesse James
The legend of Jesse James has taken a bizarre new twist with the hoisting of
a coffin from its grave

**  Untold story of darkest hour: Lancastria story
The worst tragedy in British maritime history claimed more victims than the
Titanic and Lusitania combined

**  Ancient Petra was a Rich and Sophisticated Center of the Incense Trade
The ancient city of Petra, Jordan's archaeological jewel, is known today
mostly for the magnificent tombs and temples carved directly into barren,
sandstone mountains

**  Remains Found in Czar Killing Site
Archeologists discovered two sets of human remains at the site where
communists gunned down Russia's last czar and his family, but the corpses
were unlikely to be those of two missing royal children

**  Dam Destroying Ancient Mosaics
A group of archeologists is racing against time as a newly built
hydroelectric dam floods a huge and priceless historical site in Belkis,
Turkey

" I DISCOVERED THE TRAVEL SERVICE BY ACCIDENT. I USED IT TO FIND A HOTEL
ROOM IN LOS ANGELES, AND  BOOKED ONE, AT A GOOD PRICE TOO!  THANKS."
D.S. Montreat

 Rail passes, hotel reservations, airline discounts, weather forecasts, car
rentals. . We provide competitive rates for more than 40,000 hotels in 5,000
cities and 140 countries. Global Museum Travel offers discounts of up to 65%
on over 700 hotels in almost every major city and up to 40% on over 7,000
hotels around the world. In addition to hotel reservations, car, air, and
cruise reservations can also be arranged

**  North Carolina museum adds adult albino opossum
The Nature Museum has a new addition to a collection that includes a
two-headed turtle and an exhibit that takes visitors inside a wall to see
how mice live.

**  Curator culls clues to Oregon mansion's mystique
Nobody at the Clatsop County Historical Society knows just how Capt. George
Flavel and wife Mary Christina originally furnished their 1885 mansion

**  Museum visitors, by their sheer numbers, are
Going round Tate Modern with 10,000 other people is a devalued experience
which destroys intimate contact with art.

**  Sewage equipment is saved for the nation museum
There are some things most people would simply rather flush away and forget.
But waste not want not. In Yorkshire, a new museum is preparing to save for
prosperity the intriguing world of sewage treatment.

**  'I get strange requests'
Just the other day we had requests for women in 1920s costume, traditional
English foods and pictures of pale ale breweries in London.

**  VW launches auto theme park
It's not often a theme park with its own five-star hotel proudly overlooks a
steaming industrial complex, where sweaty workers bend iron into autos and
towering smokestacks belch skyward.

**  Money pit
The Basketball Hall of Fame vowed its $100 million expansion was not in
jeopardy, even though it asked its employees to take pay cuts if private
financing for construction is not secured by the end of June

**  Website of the Week
The Zepplin Museum in Friedrichshaven. The Zeppelin Museum Friedrichshafen
presents the world's greatest repository of objects on the history of
airship flight and technology and its well designed website proves that it
is more than hot air!

**  Over-budget museum to open in December
Overdue and over-budget, Melbourne's new museum will open 12 months late at
a cost of $291.8 million, the Auditor-General said yesterday

Our Affiliates and Advertisers ensure that GLOBAL MUSEUM ezine remains free
for you, and thousands of others. Please support them in return.

**  Show of support for Brit designs
The exhibition Inside Out, exploring the British obsession with underwear,
is on at the Design Museum in London. Using knickers hanging from washing
lines and huge legs stuffed with bras, the exhibition aims to showcase the
talent of British designers

**  Atrocious poetry celebrated in Michigan
Putting pen to paper recently, Espinoza churned out a wrenched parody of
renowned poet T.S. Eliot and managed to beat 60 other terrible poets to be
crowned the worst of the worst

**  Leatherback turtles on verge of extinction
The turtle colony that nests on this crescent-shaped, white-sand beach will
decline to an unrecoverable low of 50 nesting females by 2003 to 2004 unless
protective measures are taken immediately

**  A sense of remoteness?

All this and more in GLOBAL MUSEUM  now read in over 72 countries
http://www.globalmuseum.org

Chat in real time, the latest museum JOBS,  BOOKSHOP,  great people posting
their RESUMES, FORUM, Cheap and reliable world TRAVEL,  MALL, Museum
Accredited Courses, and.....
a new HEALTH STORE, Toy Store, Classical Music store, and a Jazz Emporium

ALL FREE AND AVAILABLE AT   http://www.globalmuseum.org