From:
Craig Sturgeon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Jul 1998 23:55:46 GMT
I am developing a Windows-base research software tool to track the raw
results and conclusions for many different types of
researchers--building a user-developed knowledgebase. The knowledgebase
is to be shareable--LAN, intranet and internet accessible--based on
user's requirements.  I am not developing a INFOBASE for you to use--I
am developing the software for researchers to build their own
knowledgebases.

My previous tool, TREE-O, is a genealogical, historical and genetic
management system.  It has a narrow focus for other types of research.
This new product will be designed to broaden that focus.

I have found genealogy is not unlike many different types of research.
I have also noticed many different types of researchers are tracking
similar data.  Medical researchers are identifying the need of
pharmaceutical, clinical, laboratory information management, primary
record of care, genealogical, genetic, and family history tracking.
Historians have defined needs to track not only historical events and
historical sites, but to include genealogical information, ecological
impacts, and migration patterns. Museum curators have been tracking and
collecting artifacts, artifact cataloging, collecting historical
information, and in some cases, genealogical data. Curators are now
identifying the need to integrate artifact information with historical
events, places, people, and their genealogical data, who had some
relationship with the museum artifacts.

There has been an overwhelming need to integrate these and other types
of resources to aid in the development of knowledge bases. A knowledge
base integrating specific users needs, which is linked with external
resources, either within the same domain of the user or linked to an
external domain, increases the knowledge of the data, reducing the time
to draw future conclusions.

The key to the development of any project, to integrate these needs and
resources, is to develop the system generically, allowing the user to
add new types of resources in the future without the need of changes to
the software or underlying data structures.

I am looking for input from many different types of researchers.  I
looking for direction of the life cycle of research projects--and the
type of data each one brings to the table.

If you'd like to provide input drop me a line at:

Thanks,

Craig

http://bfree.on.ca/vmall/gcs/