From:
Elizabeth Hanson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 May 1999 15:55:54 -0400
I just co-curtated an exhibit and used colored xeroxes of all our images.
This enabled us to blow them up to a larger size, make them smaller, and
even improve the quality of the images.  Most importantly it allowed us to
keep the originals in storage so they will last longer.  We don't encourage
it, but if someone was to touch the exhibit nothing would be damaged.

The ones that I framed look like original photographs.  Others we dry
mounted to matte board and velcroed on the wall.

There is one important issue that you want to address.  If you use color
xeroxes make sure you trust the person who is going to reproduce the
images.  Give them a conservation lesson if need be; and take them a pair
of gloves so their finger prints won't be all over the images.

The exhibit is called "Our Mothers Taught Us Well:  Five Generations of a
Georgetown Family."  It will be at the Historical Society of Washington DC
until October 16th if you would like to see what we did.

Elizabeth

cschartman <[log in to unmask]> on 05/10/99 10:40:14 AM

Please respond to Museum discussion list <[log in to unmask]>