From:
Laura Quackenbush <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Jul 2001 11:25:50 -0400
Good morning,

Here's one for collections managers, registrars, conservators, etc.:

Two small museums in our county just finished CAP grants, and we are
discussing the recommendations the two different conservators gave us on
climate control.  We have two very different types of buildings, one is a
19th century lighthouse residence, ours a 15 year old frame building.
Neither have HVAC systems, and  moderate the  humidity levels with portable
humidifiers and de-humidifiers.  We know we were only able to a minimal
affect but it was better than nothing.
I can smell and feel the difference it makes.

  The advice to both of us was cease with the portable units, that we are
probably doing more harm with them than good.  Instead, rely on the dynamics
of the building to modify the RH.  The lighthouse was told to increase
circulation even to the extent in which screened windows be opened.

Granted we dont have big humidity problems in the summer, but in the winter
we have the heat on (one temp day and night) from Oct - May, and it gets
below 20% RH if we dont add some humidity.

Where can we find some additional information to back this advice?
Obviously we are out of the loop up north here, but we have a hard time
thinking that our portables are not doing some good.

Is this another passing "conservatorial" trend, similar "to zone" or not "to
zone."  I have talked to two bigger institutions in Michigan designing new
collections storage areas and one is zoning and one is not. They are using
reputable designers.

Comments, references, etc. are welcome with many thanks.

Laura J. Quackenbush, Curator
Leelanau Historical Museum
203 East Cedar St €  POB 246 € Leland, MI 49654
[log in to unmask] €  231/256-7475  €  FX 231/256-7650

- - -

"A ship is safest in a safe harbor, but that is not what the ship is for."
                                                                Wm. Shedd
- - -