From:
Erin Quinn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Apr 2004 07:58:40 -0600
Our textiles conservator recommended Jiffy steamers, the upright kind with a large reservoir. We just bought one and have used it to steam garments we put on mannequins.  It's great!  She recommended Jiffy because the large reservoir means that you don't have to fill it up very often and the long wand gives you more control.  Two things to be careful of: 1. Never hold the wand over the material, hold it under or to the side or water might drip.  2.  Use a piece of cheesecloth (you can buy this at the grocery or fabric store) to cover the wand to absorb any drips.  As always be careful when using heat and water near historic fabrics - this should not be done every day.

Erin

Erin Quinn
Curator of Collections
City of Greeley Museums
919 7th Street
Greeley, CO 80631
(970) 350-9218
www.greeleymuseums.com

>>> [log in to unmask] 04/22/04 03:10PM >>>
I work at a sports museum and we are opening up a new facility.  For
years, a lot of our jerseys and boxing robes and trunks were just thrown
in a box and are now wrinkled and a bit dirty. I dare not wash them, but
perhaps vacumn them.  Is steaming the best way to go to de-wrinkle them
for exhibition? If so, what particular type of steamer should I use?