From:
Boylan P <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Oct 1999 23:28:48 +0100
I can't advise on specific US laws, but the general principles are the
same across many countries nowadays.

In Britain you are not forced to advertise by law (unless that's a
contract condition of e.g. a public support grant - as used to be the case
with some local authority grants in the UK), BUT you must be able to show,
if challenged that the selection procedure was fair, transparent and
unbiased. It's 22 years since Rosabeth Moss Canter's doctoral research,
published as "Men and Women of the Corporation", demonstrated that in many
major US corporations traditional selection and promotion approaches were
neither transparent nor fair, and that apart from being probably illegal
was also bad business, since promotion to senior positions was heavily
biased towards white males from a narrow social background, and hence
there was widespread discrimination against the 80% - 90% of the workforce
that was female, racial minority or white male but from less fashionable
backgrounds.

This kind of indirect discrimination has been significantly reduced in the
business sector, but on my fairly frequent transatlantic visits I have
frequently heard claims that what in England we call the "Old School Tie"
still reigns pretty well unchallenged in some of the more prestigious
areas of the American non-profit sector.

Patrick Boylan

===================================

On Mon, 4 Oct 1999, Gronborg wrote:

> Are there any legal requirements concerning openings at not-for-profit
> organizations?  Is it legal to not advertise for or announce openings for
> senior staff positions?
>

> J. R. Grønborg, Exhibit Developer
> Chicago Academy of Sciences
> 2060 N. Clark Street, Chicago, IL 60614
>
> ============================Important Subscriber Information:
>
> The Museum-L FAQ file is located at http://www.finalchapter.com/museum-l-faq/ museum-l.html. You may obtain detailed information about the listserv commands by sending a one line e-mail message to [log in to unmask] The body of the message sho
uld read "help" (without the quotes).