From:
Emma Heald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Mar 2000 17:50:08 GMT
Hi,

I'm one of those "lurkers" I see mentioned a lot :)  The list is enjoyable
and informative for me, and as a Museum Studies student it's proving an
invaluable extracurricular tool!! Finals have brought me out of the Museum-L
shadows to ask you all a question:

I'm writing a final paper on the challenges and strategies associated with
museums trying to broaden the diversity of their visitor, volunteer and
employee constituencies.

I would be very interested to hear about individual museums' experiences
with this issue.  Does your institution have a Diversity policy, or
strategy/initiative?  Are diversity issues common to all museums (regardless
of type and/or geographical location)?  Are museums finding successful
strategies to broaden their visitor/volunteer/employee base, or are there
other external issues that serve to make this a problem with no solution?
Come to that, do all museums consider there is a "problem" in the first
place?

I would also be very keen to hear about individual programs museums are
running to attract new social/racial/gender groups to their institutions; I
can think of the 'Artful Adventures' program at the Boston MFA, for example.

Thankyou very much in advance for your thoughts.

Emma Heald
Certificate Candidate, Harvard University Extension School