From:
Megan Bryant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Jun 1998 09:58:41 -0500
Lawrence Hyman wrote:
<<I'm curious, of what generation are these "great many people" without
advanced degrees? It seems clear that entering the museum profession now is
intensely more competitive than it was twenty, or even ten, years ago. And
it's not getting any easier.>>
Various generations, actually.  Granted though, most of them entered the
profession more than ten years ago.  However, I do know several people in
their 20s and 30s who are working in "professional" level positions who do
not have graduate degrees.

And you're absolutely correct - it's not getting any easier.  I know I
certainly wouldn't be where I am now without my MA.  BUT, the degree alone
wouldn't have gotten my anywhere - I've had to demonstrate that it's backed
up with solid experience, interest, and dedication.