From:
Rainey Tisdale <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 May 2004 11:18:49 -0400
The Society for the Preservation of New England Antiquities (SPNEA)
might be a good resource for this issue. They have one of the largest
wallpaper collections in the country.

http://www.spnea.org/wallpaper/index.htm

Rainey Tisdale
Collections Manager
Bostonian Society
206 Washington Street
Boston, MA 02109
617-720-1713 x24
617-720-3289 Fax
www.bostonhistory.org

Date:    Wed, 19 May 2004 13:17:49 -0400
From:    Gretchen Goodell <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Wallpaper archive and storage

Annabelle and All,

We are debating similar issues at my institution with the storage of
materials used in the decoration of the Mansion throughout its
institutional history (1853 - Today).  We not only have wallpaper
samples, but also floor covering, upholstery, and curtain fabrics that
are currently on the roll and taking up quite a lot of space.  Prior to
my arrival the practice was to take samples and store them in archival
poly sleeves, labeled with their manufacturer, date, and the manner in
which they were used.

It is certainly a dilemma for us as to whether we should cut samples or
retain entire rolls.  Ideally, I would like to retain entire rolls for
future researchers and scholars, but understand the practical
impossibility of storing all of them.  If cutting needs to be done, of
course we will retain selvage edges and repeats of the pattern, but is
that good enough?

Looking forward to hearing other thoughts.

Gretchen M. Goodell
Assistant Curator
George Washington's Mount Vernon