Date:
Mon, 14 Jan 2002 10:10:45 -0700
<<I am working and convince myself I just choose to suffer other people
being
<<there.  Be such a wonderful place without the visitors...aren't I kind and
<<munificent to allow them in?  Then I hear see or hear someone having the
<<kind of shaping moment that I had at the Field Museum and feel like a
<<complete heel for thinking about hoarding the wonder.

Gavin: the concept of "shaping moments" brought back memmory of an incident
at the American Museum.  Several of us were re-doing the base of the exhibit
of fossil elephant skeletons, which was an area perhaps 50 long and 10 feet
wide.  We were slopping plaster around, controuring it, etc.  This was all
being done while the hall was open.  School groups were passing through, and
one such group stopped at the display.  The teacher was telling the kids
something about the elephants, and I heard a kid exclaim "WOW!!!! Where'd
you get THAT!!" looking up, expecting to see someone staring at the mastodon
is rapt wonder, I saw a kid looking down at the base of the exhibit, where
one of us had laid a particularly large switchblade knife.

A perfect example of the rule that to get a kid's attention, you have to
give them something that relates to their own lives!