From:
"Glenn A. Walsh" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Sep 2005 11:39:10 -0700
For a short time in the 1980s, Pittsburgh's original
Buhl Planetarium had a similar schedule: closed on
most Mondays but open on Monday holidays.

However, our Monday Floor Supervisor [who was still on
duty each closed Monday], Fred Peelor, was able to
document how many visitors we lost by being closed on
most Mondays. With these statistics, eventually, Buhl
Planetarium reopened every Monday during the year.

When Buhl Planetarium opened in 1939, it was open to
the public every day of the year except New Year's
Day. Later, that one day exception was changed to
Christmas Day, and Buhl reopened on New Year's Day.

When I helped plan each year's schedule, in the 1980s
and early 1990s, I insisted that the schedule be as
simple, and hence, consumer-friendly, as possible.
People do not want to have to continually refer to a
schedule to find out when you are open; it should be
an easy to remember schedule and as consistent as
possible throughout the year.

And, of course, publicity for such a schedule is very
important. This should be easier today, when you can
custom-design your own web site to make it easy for
customers to know when you are open. AND, with an easy
to remember web address, people should be able to
easily and quickly find out whether you are open or
closed on certain holidays.

gaw