From:
"Robert T. Handy" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Jan 1998 11:49:05 -0600
Margaret Hayon wrote:

> I'm new to this list. I'm studying for a certificate in Museology at the
> University of Haifa, Israel. I'm also (independently of the Museology
> course) taking courses in Web-publishing and Interactive Multimedia - in
> particular, learning Macromedia Director (a program used for producing
> interactive multimedia programmes and CD-ROMs).
>
> I'm especially interested in the concept of the "virtual museum", and in
> the applications of computer technology and digital imaging to the
> presentation and interpretation of cultures.  I'm also especially
> interested in digital imaging and preservation of manuscripts written on
> animal-skin.
>
> Sorry, forgot to mention my other "hat"!  My academic background is in
> African Studies (BA from SOAS, University of London, England - many
> years ago, sequel to a childhood in pre-independence West Africa). I'm
> now doing research on the religious traditions and manuscripts of the
> Ethiopian Jews, who are now living in Israel.  Lots of other interesting
> and irrelevant(?) stuff in between - "the wheel has turned full
> circle"!   To cut a long story short, I have a rather unique and
> sensitive relationship with certain of their traditional elder religious
> leaders ("qessotch"), who have allowed me to photograph a number of
> their manuscripts. (I'm also recording oral traditions from them, and
> translating one of these manuscripts from Ge`ez into English as part of
> my doctorate, under the University of London External Programme.)
>
> I'm building a personal Web-site on Ethiopian Jewish Heritage, at
> <http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/7139/>
>
> I'll be grateful for responses to any part of this message.
>
> Margaret Hayon

I also am interested in virtual museums on the Internet.  We are sort of
on our way there with our current site (www.bchm.org), but have a long
way to go.  Would also like to develop a "virtual tour" of the
Anglo-Colonial region of Texas, which includes a number of museums.
That might take a little longer.  On the other hand, given that there
might be more support for the tourism it might generate, it might be the
first thing we turn to.

Would appreciate your thoughts and suggestions relating to the
technology currently available for accomplishing these tasks.

Bob Handy
Brazoria County Historical Museum
Angleton, Texas