From:
Indigo Nights <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Aug 2005 11:41:23 -0700
In many instances, it's not just a reluctance, it's a
pure inability.  The cost of medical care, housing,
insurance, and more has gone way out of control.  I
was at a family reunion yesterday and spent time with
my next generation up relatives.  The costs they are
having to pay for prescription drugs--even with
insurance and medicare--is egregious.  Prescriptions
that cost $700 a month just to stay alive don't
engender easy retirement decisions.

--- Adrienne DeAngelis <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>   In line with Indigo's remarks on the reluctance of
> the older generation
> to retire, may I point out that TIAA-CREF and some
> other retirement fund
> programs saw major losses a few years ago.  This has
> had the effect of
> encouraging many otherwise ready to retire to hang
> in there for several
> more years, thus making unavailable positions at
> many different levels.
>
>    Adrienne DeAngelis, Editor
>   Resources in Art History for Graduate Students
>   (http://members.efn.org/~acd/resources.html)

Indigo Nights