From:
Belinda Nickles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Apr 1999 12:50:59 -0400
To Indigo Nights:

Was yesterday a bad day?  Surely you know Mr. Martinson and
I were just being facetious (especially the part about promising
your first-born child).

I'll try to keep this post short (famous last words), but I
feel the need to address some of your remarks.  I too went to
college years apart.  The first time, my husband and I were in
school full-time, working part-time, raising two children--ages
4 and 5--and paying all our expenses.  The second time, we
sold our house to pay for college and still needed a student
loan for me to go to grad school.

I knew going in that museums couldn't afford to pay me what
I'm worth--in central Illinois I make less than a beginning
teacher.  But I have a career that I love and at 49 that is
very important to me.

A student loan was there when I needed it, however, it is
going to take a long time to pay it off.  Some students and
some of those already working have this rosy idea that once
they are out of college there will be a position waiting for
them that will cover all their expenses and still allow them to
eat regularly (I've actually met some of them!).  As others on
Museum-L can testify, you don't always find that kind of job
right away.  Those with that unrealistically rosy view need to
be reminded that a student loan is a long time committment.
That's what Mr. Martinson and I were doing.

Belinda Nickles