From:
Isabel and Heather <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Sep 2004 10:56:06 -0700
Greetings,

    I'm a first time poster hoping to solicit some opinions from you all
working and living museum life each day.  I want to return to school to get
a MA in Museum Studies in San Francisco.  Although I was a cinema
(archivist) major as an undergrad, I have had a life long fascination and
appreciation of museums.  For the past five years I have worked
professionally in sales and marketing.  When I was recently laid off I
decided to take stock of my life, realizing that I am not happy in this
field, and adventure in the world of museums, hopefully fusing a passion of
my life with a permanent career.  I have been volunteering in a reputable
local museum for many months now, trying to gain experience in which area of
concentration I should pursue (curatorial, acquisitions, administrative,
collections, education, conservation).
    My main concern is being employable and obtaining work once I've
graduated with a Masters in Museum Studies. Is there a greater need in
certain concentrations within the field?  Is there anything I'm not taking
into consideration?  My biggest fear is to rack up debt and then not be able
to get a job in what may be an extremely competitive market.  I don't need
to make much, simply a comfortable living in a field I enjoy.  I'm hoping
some of you can take a few minutes and offer me your opinions and insights.
I thank you in advance and all help is greatly appreciated.

Kindly, Heather

The Museum-L FAQ file is located at
http://www.finalchapter.com/museum-l-faq/. You may obtain detailed
information about the listserv commands by sending a  one line e-mail
message to [log in to unmask] . The body of the  message should
read "help" (without the quotes).  If you decide to leave Museum-L, please
send a one line e-mail message to  [log in to unmask] . The body
of the message should read "Signoff  Museum-L" (without the quotes).