From:
John Martinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Jan 2000 17:01:03 EST
This may be of interest.....

"Marketing Yourself as a Free Agent: The Smithsonian Caper"
By Harry Wiland
--

At least 50 percent of my work as a writer and media consultant entails
researching a client's needs and convincing him how I might help his company

Day 1. Monday, 5:08 PM. Cinematographers call it "golden time" because it's
the optimum time to shoot film. I call it VIP time, because it's the best
time to get decision makers on the phone. There is no assistant to run
interference.

I dial. The phone rings. Steve (name is changed) picks up. Bingo. Steve is
the media point person for The Smithsonian Institution and, with travel and
back-to-back meetings, almost impossible to get a hold of. Steve doesn't know
it yet, but he needs to talk to me about an opportunity that is too good to
pass by.

There are less than a dozen premium brands that both reflect American and
worldwide culture and have gained the public trust; the Smithsonian is one of
them. It is made up of 60 different semi-autonomous institutes and museums.
From my research, I know that it continually faces two needs: money and space
for its myriad of exhibitions. In fact, less than 5 percent of its inventory
is currently available to the public. That is where I come in.

I suggest to Steve that his salvation lay with the intelligent use of new
media. The institutions' shortage of space and money could be solved with a
more comprehensive use of the Internet. I propose that e-commerce should
serve as another venue for the Smithsonian's extensive consumer product
catalog, and the Web could serve as the home for a vast virtual interactive
exhibition space. I also suggest marketing alliances with companies like
Amazon and Barnes and Noble. His response is cautious, but I'm confident that
wheels are set in motion by the call. I give things a week to percolate.

Day 8. Monday, 9 P.M. I work better when the phone isn't ringing. I create a
presentation on my laptop (batteries fully charged!) and plan for a
face-to-face meeting. Steve is a creature of habit and has always eaten at
the same restaurants in the years I have known him. I decide to start having
my lunch there as well. I won't be wearing a ski mask and black from head to
toe, but I feel as if I'm about to sneak into The Smithsonian.

Day 10. Wednesday, 12:35 P.M. Steve and I spot each other at lunch and he
graciously invites me to join him at his table. Laptop in hand, I accept.
What a coincidence (wink wink). It is now or never.

Steve becomes more and more intrigued with the possibilities I present. One
of his concerns is that there is no one at the institution to supervise this
expansion into web-based commerce and exhibition. I have anticipated this
possibility.

The second half of my presentation illustrates how I can take that all on,
recruiting, on a free-agent basis, the technical, business and design talent
required to spearhead the effort. It all makes sense to him. Now he has to
convince his boss. I continue my campaign.

Day 30. Tuesday, 3 P.M. Through weekly follow-up emails, I've been informing
Steve of the progress other comparable educational and cultural institutions
have made by embracing the web and implementing e-commerce as a significant
part of their business plan. My persistence is paying off. Steve calls me. He
has set up a meeting with his boss to see how we might work together. I'm on
the inside now.

<source:  http://careers.altavista.com/sponsors/freeagent/articles.html>