From:
Hugh Genoways <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 May 1998 15:59:13 -0500
I want to add some of my concerns to those of Patrick Boylan concerning
this proposed meeting and journal.  This is the first notice that I have
seen for this meeting.  It is very late to be contemplating travel to an
international meeting.  Furthermore, the site selected for the meeting is
not particularly accessible for international travelers and is certain to
add to travel expenses.

I am totally surprised to see the the title for the new journal has been
selected and surprise! surprise! it is WUNDERKAMMER.  One of those
wonderful German words made by putting two words together to form a third,
which leads to debates as to its meaning.  We can probably also expect a
certain number of papers discussing the difference between WUNDERKAMMER and
KUNSTKAMMER, which came first, and which is most appropriate to use.

Because the modern museum movement has its roots in renaissance Italy and
not Germany, it would be more logical for an international journal with
ties to UNESCO to draw it title from that period.  For example, STUDIOLO,
STUDIO, MUSAEUM, GUARDAROBA, or MUSEO.  The people using these names were
gathering material for research and were documenting the collections.
Names associated with these activities would seem more appropriate to the
proposed journal than would activities and motivations associated with
WUNDERKAMMER or KUNSTKAMMER.  What will be the acceptable languages for the
journal?  French? German? Italian? English?

If this an organization with activities associated with UNESCO, why isn't
it being headquartered in Paris?

Hugh H. Genoways

>Excuse crosspostings!
>
>Verlag Dr. C. Mueller-Straten, Kunzweg 23, D-81243 Muenchen,
>Tel/Fax: 089-839 690 43, http://WebMuseen.de/VERLAGCMS
>MAGAZINES AND BOOKS IN MUSEOLOGY (GERMAN/ENGLISH)+ GERMAN THESAURI
>
>FOUNDING OF THE INTERNATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF MUSEOLOGISTS (IAM)
>
>INFO 1
>During the symposion "New collection strategies - from analysis to new
>models",
>held Oct. 6th and 7th, 1998, at Lake Starnberg, near Munich, Germany,
>there will
>be the founding of the IAM at 19.00 h. The symposion will be organized by the
>UNESCO financed International Summer School of Museology (ISSOM) and the
>Masaryk
>University, Brno, Tchech Republic. Conference language will English and
>German.
>
>Meeting place is Evangelische Academy, Tutzing, directly at the lake. Tutzing
>can be reached by suburban trains from Munich main station ending in Tutzing.
>
>The IAM
>The IAM will not only be an organisation of scientists, but also of all
>interested in museology, of museum workers, volonteers, students in
>museology as
>well as museology grounded firms. ICOM-membership is not needed.
>IAM will not only develop and promote museological thinking as a useful
>science,
>but also care for the vested interests of people interested in museology.
>As Museology has deep roots in Germany, the seat of the IAM will be in
>Leipzig,
>Germany.
>The IAM will have an annual meeting and will organize conferences.
>The IAM will have its own publishing organ, named WUNDERKAMMER. 1-2 issues a
>year are included in the membership fee.
>Three kinds of membership will be possible:
>- persons with vested interests in museology (full members)
>- students and members of the first group out of work (additional members)
>- supporting firms.
>
>For further informations see upcoming eMails.
>
>Dr. C. Mueller-Straten

++++++++++++++++++++++++

Hugh H. Genoways

Professor
University of Nebraska State Museum, and
School of Natural Resource Sciences
W436 Nebraska Hall
University of Nebraska-Lincoln
Lincoln, NE   68588-0514