From:
Sarah Cloud <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Jan 2001 16:24:29 -0500
If you're currently interning at an art museum, do talk to your colleagues
about your needs.  They may be personally acquainted with other registrars
in your part of the U.S., or with other museum professionals who could pass
your resume on to the registrar or internship coordinator at their
institution.  Talk to faculty members in the AH department, as well.
Network, network!

I'd suggest contacting any specific people who are mentioned with a formal
letter and resume.  Mention the name of whomever referred you, and ask if
the recipient might pass along your letter to someone else if they
themselves have no suggestions for placement.  Include your phone number and
e-mail with the letter, even if you're sending hard copy.  Follow up after a
week or so with a phone call, just to confirm whether your letter arrived.
Although I didn't obtain an internship with this process, I did have some
nice communication with a few new contacts who were willing to help.

If museum's website offers a specific volunteer-oriented or internship
e-mail address, you could send a brief message asking about any
possibilities and mentioning your credentials.  (Some museums just have no
time or space for interns, so why waste postage?)  You can follow up with a
letter and resume when requested.  (This process is how I finally got my
internship. 8-)

As for sending letters and resumes with no referral, I remember reading
somewhere that it's more effective to send them to the director rather than
to, say, "Registrar."  The request will have more clout if the director is
aware of it and passes it along to the appropriate staffmember.  But I could
be wrong.

Sarah E. Cloud
Worcester Art Museum Curatorial Intern
508-799-4406 Ex. 3027