From:
Elana Hornstein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Oct 2000 13:30:19 -0700
Thank you all for your thought-provoking comments.  Many of you have brought
up that museum will often have a "free day" to accommodate visitors who
can't or don't want to pay.  The San Jose Museum of Art does offer a free
day on the 1st Thursday of each month.  Our attendance figures on a free day
generally exceed 5 times our normal attendance on a paid day.  It is
precisely for this reason that we are investigating the possibility of
becoming a free institution (or offering reduced admissions fees).  We are
concerned that we are only reaching our local audiences once a month.
Furthermore, initial studies suggested that visitors who pay in enter our
Museum are primarily 1st time visitors, as opposed to those who come on free
days who are primarily repeat visitors.  Repeat attendance from our
communities is of great importance to many of us, hence the study.

Thank you again for your input.

Elana K. Hornstein
Visitor Services Manager
Education Department