From:
Deb Fuller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 May 2007 11:58:46 -0400
On 5/25/07, Sarah Cole <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> My views about the museum are my own, but I caution against dismissing
> the museum as a place appealing only to a fringe group. 3 of 10
> Republican presidential candidates stated that they do not believe in
> evolution. The Pew research center shows that 42% of the general
> population does not believe in evolution at all. And of the 51% who do
> believe, only half of those believe that evolution occurs through
> natural selection. This is not a fringe belief, but something firmly
> rooted in American culture.

I generally agree with your comments that people who are going to a
Creation museum aren't a fringe group but more people that we realise,
esp. those of us who live in or near big cities where the populations
tend to be more secular.

Non-denominational, evangelical churches are growing at a tremendous
rate while more "traditional" or previously mainline churches are
declining or hitting a stand-still. Outside of Washington, DC, where I
am, I know of at least one church, McLean Bible Church, which has a
membership of over 10,000 and takes out ads on the radio. We have 2
Christian radio station which have taken over slots that were
previously mainstream stations.

On the subject of the Pew poll and Americans who don't believe in
evolution, I'd question how that survey was taken. Not trying to
discredit the survey which was probably valid, but "evolution" is one
of those terms that is defined many different ways. If you asked many
Americans what "evolution" means, they'd probably say something like
"we are decended from monkeys", which is partially right but doesn't
grasp the whole concept. Likewise, I'd wager than most of America
don't know what "natural selection" is so taking a poll on if if
people agree with evolution or natural selection is kind of flawed to
begin with. There are people who believe that God created man but
we've evolved from there or that God started the whole process and let
nature take its course. Those people technically don't believe in
"evolution" but aren't the "young earthers" of the Creationist museum
either.

Personally, I think a lot of the non-believers in evolution comes from
lack of education. Again, most people equate "evolution" with saying
that man is just a big monkey. They don't understand the nuiances
involved so they say they don't believe in it. If they actually had
decent science classes in high school and were taught the WHOLE theory
and mechanisms, there would probably be a lot more believers in
evolution than not.

Deb