From:
Julianne Snider <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 May 2009 12:32:21 -0400
I am working with our development office to set up an endowment
specifically to cover care, conservation, and restoration needs of our
art collection. The collection (more that 225 items) is comprised of oil
paintings (77%), works on paper (21%), and three-dimensional work (2%).
The majority of the collection was created in the first half of the 20th
century by American artists.

We do not have a conservator on staff, nor do we have space for a
conservator to work. Work performed would have to be on a contract basis.

We do have a good climate-controlled storage environment with art
storage racks (for hanging works) and shelving for the works on paper,
flat files, and three-dimensional pieces.

Is there a formula for determining average annual budgets for
conservation and restoration? Or, does anyone have an endowment
earmarked for collections care? If so, is the monetary amount adequate
for "routine" conservation and restoration on an annual basis?

Thanks

--
Julianne Snider
Assistant Director