From:
Doug Kendall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Sep 1994 13:51:18 CDT
     Here at the State Historical Society of Wisconsin, we have
fallen into the "tradition" of loaning paintings from our
collection for display in the offices of elected officials up the
street at the State Capitol and occasionally to various civil
service offices in Madison.  All of these loans are "exceptions" to
the collections policy, being made to individuals and not to
qualified museums or educational institutions.  The Capitol does
not have adequate climate or UV controls, nor is there any security
for the paintings aside from the presence of legislative and other
staff in these offices.
     I have been asked to find out what other institutions have
done to end/change/mitigate such practices.  I would be interested
in hearing from anyone who is in a similar situation:  where loans
have been made to those who ultimately hold the museum's purse
strings, whether on a municipal, state or federal level.  I know
that the Minnesota Historical Society has ceased lending original
works of art to legislators in favor of a loan program of framed
photographic prints.  I have heard that various branches of the
Smithsonian may loan works to art to federal legislators.
Any truth to that?
     If this seems like an issue in which others are interested, post any
replies to the list; if you feel otherwise, please send them to my
own address.
Doug Kendall, Curator of Domestic Life, Museum Division
State Historical Society of Wisconsin
816 State St., Madison, WI 53706
(608)-264-6552; e-mail: [log in to unmask]