From:
"Hoffman, Jason A" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Mar 1996 11:24:00 EST
RE: Museum Register POS Systems

First, apologies to all who do not care a smidgeon on this topic but this
is the only address I have to reply.  I have not heard of the POS system
you spoke of and therefor cannot be any help there.  However, we did
research a number of options and choose the RETAIL package from Seaport
software.  This is a DOS based application with very extensive report
running capabilities in addition to tracking inventory, customers, and
sales.  The software only costs around $995 for the back office version
where you enter the sales of the day after you close.  For an additional
$450 you get the POS setup where sales are entered as they are made.  A
cash drawer with receipt printer is $695.  We went with barcode scanning
though am not sure we would if I had it to do over again.  This is due
more to working with volunteers who, surprisingly, can mess up a sale
using barcodes as easily as entering in SKU codes.  The software for the
scanners is $350 and each scanner costs $600.  These prices are as of last
year and does not include networking two computers together or the cost of
the computer (an additional $1200 or so).  The Seaport Software phone
number is 203-572-7583 and the contact person is Sandy Sherman.  They will
send you a demo disc and the usual superfluous mailings.  A very good
system for what we paid (under $6000 for a two register, one back office
system with barcodes, not including the cost of computers).  I have no
regrets in regards to purchasing this software as opposed to the very much
more expensive systems.

I do think that the MSA put out a report a year or so ago though it was
more on what POS can do for you instead of rating the various systems.
The MSA phone number is 303-329-6968.

Please feel free to call if you would like to discuss this further,

Jason Hoffman
The Lincoln Museum
(219)455-3798