From:
Maggie Harrer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Nov 2004 11:01:49 EST
Dear Friends,
We ALWAYS track all of the time that anyone gives to us.....in working on
committees, in writing grants, in writing publicity, helping with eventsetc
etc...if it is not paid work it is considered an In-Kind Donation of time and
talent.  We use these for our annual budget reports to show the true cost of doing
business.

The State of NJ HPO ran a series of grant seminars in which they discussed
this in-kind aspect.  They highly recommended that we do it, as it shows the
REAL cost of doing business and also as it shows community support.  There is
NOTHING unethical about it.

We value volunteer time at $7 / hour - around minimum wage.  We have had some
cases where people with more "expert" talent have volunteered their time and
talent - one case was a video expert who helped us prepare some CD's - another
was a computer expert who helped us with some data base work.  In both cases,
we evaluated their in-kind time and talent donation at $40/ hour and
$30/hour...which was what it would have cost us to hire an expert to do what they did.
 We keep a running list of these in-kind donations and it is a regular column
in all our budgets.

All the best,
Maggie