From:
janice klein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Jul 2003 11:31:17 -0500
Although I am not a tax lawyer or accountant (nor do I play one on TV), my
belief is that if "sell" (as opposed to solicit "donations" or
"underwriting") space on your website you will be subject to UBIT (unrelated
business income tax -- the term refers to money that is brought in for
activities (or goods sold in your shop) unrelated to your central mission).
The wording of the "acknowledgement" for the "donation" must not include any
assessment of the company's activities (e.g., "number one source for Nike
equipment in the Ipswich area") or a call to action (including "contact us
today").  Including an address, phone number and website address is fine on
print ads; I'm not sure if there is a difference if you include a hotlink on
your website.  Certainly by doing so you ARE providing "goods and services"
to the "donor"...

Some of Professional Committees of AAM have struggled with this problem in
using "ads" or "acknowlegements" in their newsletters and membership
directories (which is where I had to deal with it).   You might try
contacting the Development office at AAM for more information.

Janice Klein
Director, Mitchell Museum of the American Indian, Kendall College
www.mitchellmuseum.org