From:
Steven Teeter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Nov 1994 19:40:31 -0600
On Wed, 16 Nov 1994 [log in to unmask] wrote:

> Is there anyone in this group who is familiar with railroad or industrial type
> museums?  What I am looking for is a museum that does a good job of tell a
> story of the people.  The people side of the story I believe is more important
> sometimes that all the displays of engines and cars and things.
> I would appreciate any comments.
>
> Les Jennings

When visiting my brother and his family in Sacramento recently, we all
went to visit the California State Railroad Museum.  (For two little boys
age 3 and 5, it's close to heaven.) I was quite impressed by it, not only
by the display of cars and engines, which is very impressive, and by the
physical plant, the buildings and so forth, which are first rate, but by
the emphasis on just the sort of human dimension you're interested in.
They almost stress the human element at the expense of the machinery, but
since the machinery is so gorgeously restored and maintained as to need no
help, the end result is an excellent balance.  Examples:  A dining car
from the 1950's with each table set in the manner of a different passenger
line, with a menu, recalling a small but very vivid detail of travel by
rail.  A large diorama of the construction of the first railway through
the Sierra Nevadas, containing an historical engine that was part of that
enormous task, and emphasising the efforts of the thousands of Chinese
immigrant laborers.  My favorite, a classic Pullman sleeper car, one half
in day configuration, one half set for night, and the whole thing rigged
to simulate the feel of a car moving at high speed at night, shaking just
enough to make you walk carefully, complete with gentle sound effects and
the occasional light flashing by the darkened windows.  Very effective.

They also have a lot of volunteer docents about, including quite a few
retired railroad workers, by my impression.  They were very helpful, and
very informative.  There's nothing like an explanation of the cab of a
magnificent steam engine by a guy who used to run it.

I don't have an address, I'm afraid, but the museum is owned and operated
by the California Park Service, and Sacramento directory assistance should
be able to help you if you want to get in touch with them.

I was quite impressed.

Steve Teeter
Asst. Curator of Jazz
Louisiana State Museum, New Orleans