From:
Barry Dressel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Mar 1998 14:05:59 -0500
>No matter what one thinks about theme parks and Disneyland/world, I find it
>rather difficult to understand how anyone could think that these marvelous
>institutions have museum-like functions. The missions of museums and theme
>parks are quite distinct, even when they seem to use the same materials and
>subjects. In short, museums (with varying degrees of success) profess to
>some kind of scientific purpose, that is, to present the world of
>observations and creations as they are, and to represent what they mean for
>better or worse. Theme parks, on the other hand, use historical references
>and scientific phenomena to weave a web that defines a world as they wish
>it to be, or, perhaps, as they wish you to think it is.  Everything in
>Disneyland is focussed on creating an impression, from the theatrical
>manipulation of experience during rides, to the way they hide the length of
>lines from public view, to the creation of never possible images of
Americana.

I posted an anecdote concerning this earlier, about a tourist confusing
Colonial Williamsburg and Busch Gardens, but a more germane compare and
contrast might be the Jorvik Viking Centre in York, which is an actual
museum experience which directly borrows an amusement/theme park staple
experience called the "dark ride".  In this case one rides down a tunnel of
time to return to Jorvik, ca 900 (or something) AD.  I missed seeing it
while I was last in York, and I've always regretted it, because it is
apparently impeccable scholarship married to what are usually theme park
methods, and it apparently works quite well.  The people I met subsequently
who'd been thought it was terrific. I've read about it subsequently in
museum journals since, and been quite impressed.  I have nothing against
Disney, admire them in fact,  except that their mission is primarily
entertainment translating into profit, not teaching based on knowledge and
research.  But given the right venue and the budget I'd love to use
techniques like Jorvik did if the budget restrictions didn't limit it to
something lame.  I admire the willingness of British museums, in my
experience, to avoid limiting themselves to what is perceived as the
"proper"--the "museum"--the "professional" way to do things. Lessons to be
learned.