From:
Tim McShane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Aug 2000 15:40:19 -0500
The Reynolds-Alberta Museum in Wetaskiwin, Alberta, which has a huge
collection of vehicles (aircraft, cars, boats--you name it), made this point
very clear with a display in their lobby.  They have an old car (1910s) that
was one-half restored (new paint, upholstery, replaced parts, etc.) and
one-half left just the way the vehicle came to them.  Very dramatic!

I think it's important to recognize that the rules are not the same for all
museums.  Museums with vehicle collections are generally Science and
Technology museums, where the point is to show the evolution of the
vehicles.  I'm sure they would not be interested in collecting and
"restoring" Tang ceramics.  Many of these institutions also swap parts among
themselves so that they can restore their vehicles as much as possible with
original parts, to maintain the historic integrity of their final display
piece.  I know I can't imagine my institution trading one of our artifacts
(say, a particular plate) for another one, just so we can have a more
complete set of a particular china pattern, but then again, my history
museum is different from their Sci. and Tech. museums.  It's a very diverse
field we work in; the same set of rules just don't work for us all.

Tim McShane, Collections Manager
West Parry Sound District Museum