From:
Rett Lorance <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Jun 2006 12:57:57 -0400
The Strand is a great place although it's a general bookstore. There are 2
locations: Broadway & 12th St and in the Financial District on Fulton
Street, near the South Street Seaport. If you're in the Financial District,
you might want to see "The Bodies" exhibition which is at the Seaport. It's
a bit expensive but worth it. There are some great surprises; who knew
viscera could look so good?

If you are in the Financial District, there are many different types of
discount stores, clothing, books, etc. If you take a little time and pop in
some of those, you might find a few very inexpensive jewels. Of course,
there are many cultural institutions down there as well.

I forget when the last time you were here, perhaps the transit system was
still on one ride per fare. Now the MTA offers weekly and daily unlimited
Metro Cards for the bus and subways. I think a weekly card is around $25
and a daily card is $7 or $8 (sorry, I have a monthly card). Single fares
are $2 although it is possible to transfer from the bus/train to another
bus/train within an hour & a half. The daily unlimited card must be $7
because if you ride 4 times in one day, the card is cheaper than individual
fares.

If you're a building person, remember to ask security (usually at an easily
identifiable station in the lobby) if it's ok to look around the lobby.
Some buildings are ok with visitors, some are not. If you're going to take
pictures, say of the Chrysler Building lobby, tell security. You can go
into the Chrysler, but, can't get near the elevators. I don't think you can
take pictures of the Woolworth Building lobby, I know you can't get into
the heart of the Woolworth Lobby.

My final suggestion is to take one of the Gray Line tours of the city. They
again are a little pricey, yet, you can get one and off the bus. It's an
interesting way to travel around the city. If you sit on the upper deck,
the views of the city are fabulous since you are looking at the buildings
from a very unusual manner. There are uptown (Harlem), dowtown and combined
tours. The combined ticket might be good for 2 days (sorry, it's been a
while).

Oh, if you're a little tired in the evening, yet, want to do something, I
suggest riding the Staten Island Ferry roundtrip. The views of the harbor,
Statue of Liberty and lower Manhattan are excellent. It's a nice way to
relax, get some fresh air, maybe catch a lovely sunset.

Apologies for length and for sending to the list. I thought others might
find the information useful as well.

Rett Lorance, Ph.D.

"There out to be liimits to freedom."
George W. Bush
"If life were predictable it would cease to be life adn be without flavor."
Eleanor Roosevelt
"The way to love anything is to realize it might be lost."
G.K. Chesterton