From:
Rebecca Fitzgerald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Nov 2005 13:05:27 -0500
The concept of "professional dress" is murky at best without a definition of
what professions you're talking about - professional teachers often wear
slacks and layered sweaters because of the varied activities they're
involved in. Professional surgeons wear scrubs at the hospital and street
clothes in their offices. The professional historians, archaeologists,
curators, etc. would seem to dress according to their activities too. In
fact, I've never seem my favorite archaeologist in anything but jeans and
mud! :-)

The next issue is the definition of "profession." When I was a kid, there
was a pretty narrow interpretation of profession - usually medical doctors,
lawyers/judges, and ministers. People talked about "being in a profession."
Now, the concept seems to have been widened to include anything you take
money for...as in I am considered a professional photographer because people
hire me to take photos for them, or buy my photos. And of course the term
"professional athlete" is understood to be one who is paid, versus the
amateur who trains and competes only for the love of the sport.

Seems to me the main point to dress codes, uniforms, etc. is to help the
visitor identify museum employees. If that is indeed the purpose, then golf
shirts/khakis are perfect. One of my "tricks of the trade" in my former life
as a consultant was to ALMOST blend in with the clients. If you dress too
much more/less formally you actually create barriers between yourself and
the client. So...if I was meeting with the Superintendent of Schools I'd
wear a suit, but when doing school visits I'd usually wear a nice pair of
slacks, blouse and cardigan. So, to my thinking, the golf shirt/khakis is in
the "business casual" range of most museum visitors, and a step up from the
jeans crowd - just right for making the museum employees seem open and
accessible.

Becky Fitzgerald
Susquehanna Museum