From:
Holly Lundberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Oct 2000 15:30:35 -0500
Rosemary,

The standard proceedure for dissolving the resin in the solvent is to
suspend the pellets in a pouch/bag made from cotton gauze or cheesecloth
tied closed with cotton thread. This will disperse the resin more evenly
through the solvent. You will find that a 5% w/v solution of B-72 in
acetone is very thin ( a 10 - 15% w/v solution is fairly standard for
labelling). This low concentration is more suitable for consolidation than
joining or mending ceramics. If you are rejoining terra cotta or
earthenware which are porous you may  need to seal the breakedges first
using something like a 10% w/v solution of B-72 in acetone and then coming
back and gluing with a more viscous solution (35% and above).  Stephen Koob
wrote a very informative article titled "The use of Paraloid  B-72 as an
adhesive". You can find the article in "Studies in Conservation" 31 (1986)
pp 7 - 14.
Techniques used for mending stoneware can differ from those used on
earthenware due to differences in porosity.  I would suggest you also take
a look at "The Conservation and Restoration of Ceramics" by Susan Buys and
Victoria Oakley (1993) and published by Butterworth-Heinemann: London;
Boston, for reaasembly techniques and other information.

At 05:48 PM 10/11/00 GMT, you wrote:
>Hi all,
>     i am making a 5% concentration of acryloid b72 using acetone as the
>solvent.  i am just wondering if anyone else can tell me how they have mixed
>up  similar solutions, any favorite recipes.  how long do the resin pellets
>take to dissolve in the solution, do you stir constantly or let sit ?  i
>have a list of formulations from LACMA but i don't want to use toluene or
>xylene.  mostly the adhesive solution will be used to mend improved
>earthenware and ironstone ware vessels.
>any suggestions will be appreciated.

>http://profiles.msn.com.

>Important Subscriber Information: