From:
Carrie Snow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Jan 2002 19:45:52 EST
I found Bill Allen's e-mail regarding Terrorism Insurance.  It is listed below

Carrie Snow

If your institution has not already renewed their insurance or tried to get a quotation for exhibitions or a change in coverage then I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but you need to know that the insurance brokers who have specialized in collections insurance and who have stood by the museum community for years are having the most difficult time in more than 20 years.  Everyone is in the same boat.  Just as war has always been excluded, so now is terrorism.  What little market capacity there is at the moment in the world for coverage of terrorism is extremely expensive (I have heard of minimum premiums of $100,000 or more) and availablity is extremely limited).

This means that, if you are insisting on coverage of terrorism, you will probably not be lending although some institutions will still have terrorism coverage until their next renewal.

As your annual insurance policy is renewed, you will no doubt receive an increase in premium also.  Essentially, insurance rates, which have been going down for the last 20 years or so are now going back to where they were 15 years ago.

This may all change over time as we get further away from the events of 9/11, but it won't be soon.  Forewarned is forearmed.  At the AAM Meeting in Dallas in May, the RC-AAM will be doing a workshop on Saturday on "Bidding Your Insurance" - the pro's and con's -and all of this will be under discussion.