From:
P Boylan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Jul 2003 19:16:35 +0100
Dear John,

Very well summarised.

Could I add one further point to the point of differences in national
"culture" and tradition?

Though the last time I did a complete "send museum-l" down-load it seemed
clear that a majority of Museum-L members are in the USA, there are many
hundreds in almost every other part of the world.  In consideration of
these, it would be helpful if our American colleagues would pause for a
moment to translate(!) any specifically US terms or abbreviations?

I've had close links with the American museum, arts and heritage "scene"
for more than a quarter of a century and I'm a frequent visitor to the USA
in general and various professional organisations including the AAM in
particular. However, I'm regularly foxed by some of the postings from
American colleagues, and end up either just hitting the "delete" key or
switch to Google to search for a explanation of the word, abbreviation or
some current American controversy.

Patrick Boylan
City University London