From:
"Mary L. Kirby" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 May 2001 18:25:54 -0500
Hi Rebecca,
At our small museum we are blessed with 8X10 andd 5X7 negatives from the
local studio from a century ago to the 1940s. The detail available is
incredible compared to today's 35mm negs. We make contact prints from the
originals and then copy negs from the prints so we do not risk damaging
the originals. Most of the copies which we display are 11 X 14 tho' we
have a few 16 X 20 if they are of exceptional interest. For variety in
presentation, a few, especially of a single individual, were printed 5 X
7 and some others 8 X 10.  Excessive foregroud or sky or both have been
cropped in some cases to vary the sizes of the compositions. don't be
static in your presentation. Have fun with variety of sizes, shapes, and
placements. What fun you cane have.

Mary Kirby
Curator, Historic Upshur Museum
Gilmer, TX

On Sat, 5 May 2001 10:34:15 -0700 REBECCA PHIPPS <[log in to unmask]>
writes:
> Hello all:

  The prints we are using are made from 5x7 glass
> plate negatives dating from 1858 to 1884.  I have suggested we go
> with 11x14 (originally we thought 8x10 but they are really small on
> the wall).  What do you think about blowing them up to 16x20 (this
> is what our photographer has suggested)?

> Thanks for your advice,
> Rebecca J. Phipps

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.