From:
"Ross Weeks Jr." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Apr 1998 20:40:15 -0400
-----Original Message-----
From: Janel and Chris Patterson <[log in to unmask]>
Newsgroups: bit.listserv.museum-l
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Sunday, April 12, 1998 9:12 AM
Subject: Re: museum architecture, Angela Putney's comments

After working with seven architectural firms in both a university and museum
setting, I find this one exactly on target!  A wise university will appoint
a "design committee" to work with the architect -- including representative
'future tenants' -- but everyone knows how difficult it is to reach
consensus among faculty, researchers, museum departments, donors,
governments, and building inspectors.  And then there's the contractor who
goes off on his own when the architect's not looking.  An entire HVAC system
at a new museum had to be ripped out after a subcontractor cut corners and
the ductwork was installed backwards.   The architect hadn't noticed, but
the staff did.