From:
Deb Fuller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Mar 2000 13:30:32 EST
Okay people, I think the world at large is missing the point here.

I think we can all agree that organisms change over time and adapt to their environment, aka - evolve. This is a proven scientific FACT and can easily be replicated with a number of experiments. I don't think anyone is disputing that part of the evolution theory.

But with all the BASIC science out there that we could teach and should teach, I think hitting home the point that we are or are not decended from protoplasmic globules of DNA or Austrilopithicus africanus is a bit useless. Face it, on both sides of the argument there are holes, big truck-sized holes that probably will never be proven no matter how much science is involved.

I also think that if you present one side of the arguement as fact or fiction, you automatically alientate the other faction. This in turn will immediately shut their minds to any other science you try and teach them.

Thus, I think we need to ask ourselves it is more important to teach people about science in general or specific theories? You can teach evolution without going into the origins of man or life in general. And I think to the average American, that information is much more valuable than getting people to believe in one theory or another. I also think it will get more people interested in science that might not even go near the subject because of a strong belief one way or another on evolution.

I'm not advocating withholding information, I just think that there is a lot more valuable information out there that we can present. Leave the origins of life to college biology or the church. We have people out there that don't even know what DNA or natural selelction is.

Deb Fuller