From:
"French, Ariana" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Oct 2009 11:08:46 -0400
Hello Michele,

Information management in museums varies based on the nature of the collection, size of the museum staff, and the priorities of the administration. I've found that in general, people tend to look at your experience, background, and interests rather than a specific IT degree. (Although an IT degree or certificate never hurts.) If you can point to relevant experience with TMS or a similar system (and it sounds like you have that), and demonstrate your skills, you're in good shape. It's especially useful to demonstrate any cases where you identified a specific problem or set of problems and improved the information management of an organization, however small or big.

On a side note: It sounds as if your interests point toward information science and its applied technologies. I've found that having a general understanding of cataloguing and library best practices has helped immensely in framing information management policies where I work. If you can volunteer or get a part-time job at a local library, you'll likely gain experience you can apply toward your interests in museum information management. I'd also suggest following the ALA and its associated mailing lists - see www.ala.org. There's also www.mcn.edu.

I hope this helps - good luck and all the best!

Ariana

--

Ariana French

Collections Database Administrator