From:
Eric Siegel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 May 1996 09:35:32 EST
   Maybe, David, the question is of scale: how many kids do we hope
   really to affect in some sort of radical way, and how many do we hope
   to merely provide a hint that there are other worlds besides the
   immediate ones they experience.

   I think that the kid who is going to be dramatically transformed by
   any museum experience is very rare.  But they do exist, and we should
   cherish them and assure that they get the full blast of pure air.  I'm
   one, and I would be willing to bet that the majority of people on this
   list have been shaped by museum experiences. When I was so excited
   about museums, it wasn't because of any advanced display or
   interpretive techniques, or any kind of real educational effort on the
   part of the museums that I learned to love.  They just sort of put the
   stuff out there and left me alone (thinking of the Met in particular).

   On the other hand, there are the vast majority who will just more or
   less shine the museum experience on.  What to do about all of these
   visitors?  A comfortable atmosphere, interactive exhibits, welcoming
   infrastructure, a good cafe, nice shop, empathetic and well-informed
   guards and guides, in no particular order, would be my system.  But
   most of all, I wouldn't spend *any* time or energy kvetching about
   their lack of interest or apparent superficiality.

  Eric Siegel