From:
Stephen Nowlin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Apr 1996 12:10:10 -0800
If it is the intention of the organizers to ultimately donate these
artifacts to a public collection, then I don't see that their other
commercial activities  present an ethical issue for an exhibiting museum.

However, if these objects are to be sold after being temporarily exhibited
in a museum, the ethics become more problematic.  The exhibiting museum
would be allowing itself to serve as a marketing tool for the commercial
enterprise -- both advertising its merchandise and possibly affecting the
value of the objects.

Stephen Nowlin
Director, Williamson Gallery
Art Center College of Design