From:
James Delgado <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Jan 1995 19:16:46 GMT
You might inquire into the Museum of London's school programme and
publication, THE PEOPLING OF LONDON, which addresses immigration and the
various ethnic communities that have made up cosmopolitan London from 10,
000 b.p. to the present.  The emphasis is on London, as a port,
attracting various peoples.  A very nice feature of the publication is a
series of first person interviews and perspectives.

Similarly, the Vancouver Museum (Vancouver, B.C.) did an exhibition last
yeat entitled "Making a Living, Making a Life," which focused on the
various communities in Vancouver and their contributions.  We are now
working with that concept and London's to develop a package and school
program that emphasizez Vancouver's role as Canada's gateway to the
Pacific Rim and its impact on our community's ethnic mix and the
resultant mutliculturalism.  It is attracting some attention,
particularly given some tensions and the various comments about our
becoming "Hongcouver" because of the recent influx from Hong Kong.  We've
been a gateway to the Orient since the fur trade days, and particularly
after the Canadian Pacific Railroad's transpacific service began in 1891,
which was the subjectof our major exhibition and publication EMPRESS TO
THE ORIENT, in 1991.

James Delgado, Executive Director
Vancouver Maritime Museum  ([log in to unmask])