From:
David Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Oct 2006 12:55:25 -0700
Linda,

Just one more thought on this.

Talk to the conservator who may examine and treat the map about taking
a high qulaity digital image of it. This way you have a source for a
reproduction as well as for a photo panel or other graphic application
that does not invovle having other people in a commercial printer firm
handling the object.

Most of the maps I have seen on exhibit are not sandwiched between
plexiglass, they are framed pretty much like a print is, using
archival and acid free materials, without glass or plexi in contact
with the surface.

You want to make sure that the glass or plexi is rated to block UV
light and you also want to  possibly add buffers into the box/framing
to control any big swings in relative humidity (I noticed that you are
in Florida). A conservator can help you with all of this.

Remember, it isn't only the UV component from light that is of concern
- all of the energy from a light source has a detrimental affect. So
if you want to have the original on display then you need to find
strategies to reduce light exposure as much as possible. Many musuem
rotate artifacts that are light sensitive so that any one object
doesn't stay on exhibit for too long. You could also look into various
methods of activating a light source - so visitors have to step close
to the map or push a button to illuminate it. Or even curtains that
can be drawn across the frame when the musuem is closed, are all ways
of thinking about helping preserve this document for the long term.

Cheers!
Dave

David Harvey
Conservator