From:
Michelle Zupan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Mar 2005 14:45:46 -0500
There are various materials for labeling artifacts.  The old school way is
to use clear coat nailpolish and india ink.  The problem is that
reversibility is messy and will damage the artifact, especially painted and
varnished surfaces. Many places use B-72 acryloid, sold by University
Products, Gaylord, and other archival suppliers. It is preferable to
nailpollish, but reversibility is still an issue.  I've worked with several
conservators who recommend: printing the object number out on acid-free
paper with laser jet ink, putting down a base of water soluble adhesive onto
the artifact, and placing the label on that. It seems to have good wear, is
safely reversible, and you don't have the added issue of reading someone's
handwriting (is it a 7 or a 4 or a 9??). The adhesives are available from
all of the archival suppliers (all catalogs are available online).

Michelle