From:
Diane Gutenkauf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Dec 2007 13:20:11 -0500
Condition is not directly correlated with age. Your costume pieces may very
well have condition issues and absolutely require a complete evaluation before
you decide how to mount them. The evaluation doesn't need to be completed
by a conservator, you can do it, but you can't skip that step.

Familiarize yourself with some readily available literature. I suggest you start
here:
http://www.nps.gov/history/museum/publications/conserveogram/cons_toc.ht
ml
and then move to here:
http://www.cci-icc.gc.ca/publications/ccinotes/index_e.aspx
And then check out the technical publications available from here:
http://www.aaslh.org/leaflets.htm

You'll find a wealth of info on how to condition report costume as well as how
to make simple mannequins from ethafoam (tm), batting and muslin.

Diane Gutenkauf
Director
Robert R. McCormick Museum