From:
Harry Needham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Dec 2001 06:56:51 -0500
Indigo, my old, you have done the basics, but you also need a firewall of
some sort. Zone Alarm is a free program that makes would-be hacker looking
into your PC see nothing but a black hole. You can also purchase a gateway
device, such as D-LINK's DI704 which sells in Canada for under $80. It
allows you to connect to the web via either high-speed or dial-up and it
connects up to 4 PCs in your home to each other, via Ethernet cards and
cables. While it turns you  PCs into a LAN, it is worth having for its
gateway firewall alone.

If you have two or more computers in your home, it is silly not to have a
LAN, as Ethernet cards are now very inexpensive and the cables are readily
available in various lengths. I cringe when I see people still uysing AB
switches.

An alternative to McAffee is Norton Antivirus which now comes bundled with
most new pcs. The advantage of almost all the Norton updates is that you do
NOT have to reboot to install them.

It always amazes me how so many of our colleagues who presumably practice
safe sex do not have the brains to do the same with computing.

Harry Needham